Sunday, November 30, 2014

I Feel Pretty

Embracing Your Bare Face


Hello Lovlies. I'm Jordan Nicole :) So for the past few years I have continually had a love/hate relationship with my own face. This sounds bizarre... Not liking my own face? As awful as it is to not love the way you look I have spent years trying to make my face look different by applying various forms of makeup. Most of us do it. We are all guilty of having thought negative things about our looks. Even when you take out the pressure society puts on us to look perfect it is normal to have doubts about what we see in the mirror. As I have gotten older I have come to appriciate my face for what it is. God made me this way and I am perfect in his eyes, that is the thing that matters.  As true as what I just said is, I have continued to use makeup through the years. Why you may ask? As much as I think I am pretty it is so much a part of the world I was brought up in to wear makeup that I can't stop. It is a part of my life. The routine of applying it in the morning, reapplying mid day and using makeup removing wipes to take it off before bed is a part of me. Even so I go through phases where I look in the mirror after taking off my makeup and think about how, even though I take off my makeup and wash my face, it feels like I never have a face with no makeup. There is always some residual mascara and eyeliner. So I decided to wear no makeup every once and a while, in order to cleanse my face fully. I will go more than a month with not one ounce of makeup on my face. It is the most amazing feeling.

Am I the only one who has ever felt the need to cleanse themselves of makeup? If you've never done it then I highly recommend you try it out. It is hard at first to fight the instinct to put makeup on but it just brings a new calm to your life. If your worry is that your skin isn't perfect, mine never looks clearer than when I stop wearing makeup. Honestly this fear shouldn't hold you back regardless because we all get spots. It happens. It is part of life and everyone covering them up and lying about having them makes it a shameful thing. Be brave and honest about your skin. Try it out. I truly feel cleansed from the whole experience. I don't wear makeup for a while and then when I feel that it is time again I start back up. I don't let society pressure me into it, I simply wear it again when I want to. When I do start wearing makeup again I do it for reasons that I think should always be why we wear makeup. I wear it because I enjoy the process of doing it and because it makes me feel like my best self. I wear it for me alone and not other people.

Recently on How To Get Away With Murder, Viola Davis did an extremely honest and moving scene where she removed her wig and her makeup. Completely exposing herself on camera. This should not have been as shocking as it was but in all reality this is a rare occurrence on television. If you haven't seen it here is the clip from the show (contains spoilers about the storyline in last few seconds) and an interview she did about the scene on Ellen.

HTGAWM Scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AmDLsbK2Zs

Ellen Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbZHkM1KMBo

I am not against makeup itself. I am just saddened by the culture that leads to it feeling like a necessity rather than something fun and optional. No one should be able to pressure someone else into changing themselves. That goes for makeup, altering your hair (style and color), exercising, surgical procedures, and who you are. The pressure to do these things is real and something that should be a topic, not buried by the media. Just think of the number of tabloid covers you've seen shaming stars wearing no makeup. It is actually tragic.

I hope that anyone who reads this can get to a place where they know makeup is for ourselves, not others. Ultimate happiness and confidence comes from within. You don't need to wear makeup to earn validation from anyone. Love yourself and others will see that, makeup or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme