Tuesday, July 8, 2014

It's Time

Moving... Again.

Hello Lovelies :) I'm Jordan Nicole. Even the best of things come to an end and the same can be said of the worst. I'm not sure where living in my first apartment falls on the scale but regardless, the experience is coming to an end. I have to be out of my very first apartment in five days. Five. I can count that amount on one hand and that fact is suddenly very emotionally overwhelming. I know that it's time to start again in a new place of my own but I will miss the 540 sq. ft I currently call home. It has served me well and been an excellent first apartment. I feel so at home there. Saying goodbye will surely be sad but I am also filled with excitement over my new apartment and all of the things to come.

I have been in my apartment since December 2013 and I have loved it dearly. It isn't much, just a one bedroom apartment that I share with a roommate. If I am being honest I think it is good to have a first apartment that isn't anything overly special. It doesn't need all the bells and whistles. I love it for things that far exceed its location or amenities. A first apartment brings with it many other firsts and I will forever associate those things with this apartment. I was truly on my own for the first time there. I will always cherish the memories and look back on it fondly. Not because of the pool it had or the granite counter tops (it does not have this.. it was built in the 60s and we had to sign all sorts forms acknowledging that there could be things associated with building in this time there, which were not good) but because of the love I felt there and the joy it brought me. I am now saying goodbye to a chapter of my life and moving on (literally moving!) to the next, solo, one.

I had originally thought I would be moving into a two bedroom apartment in my current complex with my current roommate. I was wrong. This didn't work out and as with all things in life that do not turn out the way we imagine, I did not handle it as gracefully as I know I could have. I was upset. It happens to the best of us! I see no shame in that. I am able to admit the things in the situation that I should have done differently and apologize for them. That is really all that can be asked of anyone. The hardest part of the situation was deciding where to go from there. It was now May and I did not have an apartment for the fall. Not a wonderful place to be considering everyone else already had a place to live (first decision made... I would be living all alone) and most apartments within a reasonable distance from campus are leased by March (second decision made... I would again be commuting to campus).

 If I am being completely honest, which I hope to always do here, I did what I always do at the slightest sign of confrontation and completely ignored the problem. I ignored that things were now in an awkward place with my roommate. I ignored that I had an alarmingly close deadline to find a place to live. I ignored that if I kept ignoring the problem, in a few short months I would be without a place to live. I basically shut down and didn't think about all of the problems in my life that seemed to have filled my brain and were now having to pile on top of each other to find room. This isn't uncommon of me. I am not a fan of confrontation and would do almost anything to avoid it. However the situation I had found myself in didn't exactly have an avoidance option so I, of course, created one. I started to visit my parents house for a week at a time so that I didn't have to be in my current apartment and see my soon to be ex-roomate (I in fact have yet to see him since the decision was made to not proceed on the two bedroom apartment. That takes skill my friends!). Staying at my parents also gave me the excuse that I could not look for an apartment if I was not in the town I needed the apartment in. Really clever there Jordan. Genius level stuff.

In profession procrastinator fashion I waited until last week to really start my search (after having a major breakdown and a fight with my Daddy about the fact that I had basically done nothing about the problem other than feel sorry for myself.. he wasn't wrong). I had been looking for an apartment online but there wasn't anything that was in an area my Mama felt was safe and my Daddy was willing to pay for. It really seemed like I would never find a place that pleased everyone, but as luck (or God) would have it, the next day we found a lead. A coworker of my Mama recommended an apartment building near the area I had been looking to move, that was also within budget! I called with my Mama (from my parents home as I was still avoiding the problem with a passion) and arranged to go in and see it the next day (Thursday, July 3rd).

I went with my friend Clay to tour the property and see the available one bedroom apartment they had. We both loved the complex and an hour after we arrived we were leaving, having applied for an apartment! It's now Tuesday July 8th and everything with the application was approved. I have signed a lease and am moving in on Saturday (this is really convenient considering I have to be out of my apartment by Sunday)!

I really do know how blessed I am that everything has managed to work out. Looking back I really should have handled this whole situation differently and I hope that I can use this as a learning experience going forward. I am going to be living all on my own for the first time in my life and I am so excited to see what is in store. I will of course be taking a ton of pictures and writing a full post on how moving (into my third floor apartment) goes and the whole decorating process. All I can do now is have a positive outlook on the journey I am about to embark on :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme