Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Thinking Out Loud

Ed Sheeran- X Deluxe Edition Album Review

Hello Lovelies :) I'm Jordan Nicole. I have been a huge fan of Ed Sheeran for well over a year now. His haunting lyrics and enchanting voice captivated me from the first time I heard him. The first song of his I heard was The A Team and I immediately went on to iTunes and bought his entire + album. It is one of the best ten dollars I have ever spent and more then one of the spots in my top 25 most played songs comes from this album. I feel as if I have been anticipating the release of a second album since the moment I pressed play on the first. I followed the whole process very closely and counted down days to X's release. I have now listened to the album in its entirety about ten times and feel that I can accurately depict the songs and why you will not regret purchasing this album :)


Tracks 

One

"Take my hand and my heart and soul. I will only have these eyes for you."

This track is classic Ed Sheeran and such a lovely way to start the album off. I always love a good love song from him :)

I'm A Mess

"I've only caused you pain, I know but all of my words will always below all of the love you spoke."

This track has the classic sound of Ed while at the same time having a bit more of an edge than we are used to. His voice really shines here. It is one of my favorites!

Sing 

"Ignoring everybody here, we wish they would disappear so maybe we could get down now."

This is the first song on the album that greatly takes a step away from the last album. Pharrell Williams was involved in the process and you can definitely tell he has his stamp on it. I am not a huge fan of his work but I do enjoy this song. I think it was a smart choice for the first single and its worthy of any good summer playlist this year.

Don't

"And I wasn't looking for a promise or commitment but it was never just fun and I thought you were different."

The beat that really drives this track, again, strays from the first album but the vocals on this track and the storyline are true Ed! I don't want to get to caught up in the gossip surrounding this track because I know that he isn't interested in people speculating about who he writes songs about but at the same time he has made public statements that kind of fueled the fire. I'll keep who I think its about to myself but I think its worth a listen just to hear the story :) The line I quoted is also one of the most relatable on the album in my opinion!

Nina

"Distance is relative to the time that it takes to get on a plane or make a mistake."

This track doesn't really stand out to me off the album but every time I hear it I do find the rhythm of it stuck in my head for the rest of the day. It is catchy enough. It just doesn't speak to me much. I'm sure it does to others though! :)

Photograph

"Loving can hurt. Loving can hurt sometimes but its the only thing that I know." 

This is one of my favorite songs on the album! The lyrics of it really speak to me.
Fun Fact: Ed got a tattoo of the street sign "6th street" for this song but when he went back to the street he meant to reference he found it was actually 6th avenue! I like the mistake though because 6th street is a famous street in Austin :) 

Bloodstream

"Lord forgive me for the things I've done. I was never meant to hurt no one."

The calming vibe I get from this song screams Ed to me. I like to listen to this track at night with the windows of my car down :)

Tenerife Sea

"And all of the voices surrounding us here they just fade out when you take a breath."

This is by far my favorite track on the album. I actually heard it from one of Ed's live Madison Square Garden shows on Youtube months before the album release date had even been made public and instantly knew it would be my favorite on the album. The lyrics and soft approach really take me back to the + days and I enjoy hearing Ed's voice in all of its acoustic and looped glory.
Fun Fact: To hear the story behind this song look up his performance of it at his Madison Square Garden show. It's nice to know when you listen to it :)

Runaway

"I don't want to live this way. Gonna take my things and go."

Similarly to The A Team, the catchy beat of this songs can easily make you overlook the serious topic of the lyrics. Suggestion: Listen to it again and try not to getting carried away by the rhythms, really listen to what he is saying.

The Man

"Success is nothing if you have no one there left to share it with."

One of Ed's tracks that has a rap vibe because of the way he delivers it. I am not a fan of rap but I think the smooth way in which he sing/talks is soothing. Its a good track. It feels like the lyrics are really revealing for Ed. He certainly opened up with a lot of this album.

Thinking Out Loud

"I'm thinking about how people fall in love in mysterious way and maybe its all part of a plan."

I have always felt that Ed and I were meant to be (red heads need to stick together after all and when we have little red headed babies they would have British accents and just be the most adorable thing ever!) but this song just makes me melt and want to spend the rest of my life with the man who could not only write its lyrics but also deliver it in the way it is done.

Afire Love

"I could look into your eyes until the sun comes up and we're wrapped in light, in life, in love."

This song feels like Ed Sheeran. It has a beautiful sound and a touching story. That's all I need in a song from anyone and sung by Ed it is more than enough to make this one of my favorites on the album.

Take It Back

"I do my own thing now and get respect after."

If anyone questions that Ed Sheeran is a badass, this song is his statement to you. He doesn't have to answer to anyone because he is confident in who he is. The track is another one of those with a rap vibe, he even mentions this at the beginning, but as with his others the smooth quality he brings makes me really enjoy it. Look up the lyrics to this one and see how many words he crammed into the 3:28 song. It is madness!

Bonus Tracks

Shirtsleeve

"I lied, I tried to cry but I'm, I'm drowning in the oceans you made." 

When I originally listened to this song the first few times I overlooked it. It didn't stand out next to my favorite tracks that kept pulling me back. As time has gone on and I have listened to it more times I now appreciate it more. It has strongly grown on me and I now really cherish it as a track on the album.

Even My Dad Does Sometimes

"It's alright to cry, even my dad does sometimes. So don't wipe your eyes, tears remind you you're alive."

I interpret this as Ed's own poignant version of the song that is meant to give you inspiration and courage to stay here on earth and keep living. I think the vague quality of the song makes it be able to mold to anyone and any situation. It's a very touching track.

I See Fire

"If this is to end in fire then we should all burn together. Watch the flames climb high into the night."

Now this song was written for the latest Hobbit film. I was never overly into it, particularly because I don't follow those films, but it is a pretty song anyways. The lyrics are quite lovely.
Fun fact: Look up the video on Youtube where he came out during a Taylor Swift show! They sang it together. 

All Of The Stars 

"And I know these scars will bleed but both of our hearts believe all of these stars will guide us home."

This track is so lovely and was such a wonderful addition to The Fault In Our Stars soundtrack. It is beautifully written. I watched him sing it on The Ellen Show with just him and a guitar. It was hauntingly beautiful! Fans of John Green and his novel couldn't have asked for a more beautiful tribute to Hazel and Augustus.
Fun Fact: This did not come as a bonus track with the digital album but it did come along with the physical copy.

This review of the album is just my personal opinion and I happen to be a huge fan of Ed Sheeran. This does make me biased but I figure if you were looking for a professional opinion you'd be on a professional website :) I hope you got something from this review! The album is definitely worth purchasing or at least giving it a sample listen :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme