Friday, July 18, 2014

On My Own

21 & Single. 


Hello Lovelies. I'm Jordan Nicole :) As you can probably tell from the subtitle of this blog, todays topic is being single. I am at the age where you are stuck somewhere between child and adult. Many of the people I attended high school with are having babies or getting married. I am the same age as people who have been married for years and have multiple children. This fact continually terrifies me. During school I always wanted to get married young and start having children. I want a lot of kids and figured it'd be nice to get started young. This plan has been slightly interrupted by the fact that I have not dated since I was 18.

Now until recently I hadn't thought much of my single status. I was content with my life and didn't think that I needed to be in a rush to find my husband. I still have a part of me that feels this way but there is a new part that has, of late, become overwhelmingly panicked about the subject. Every time that I talk to an adult, or even someone else my age, they ask me if I am seeing anyone. When my answer is no the next statement is always one of the following: "Why?" Or, "You need to meet this boy I know". At first these responses confused me. I didn't think that there was anything wrong with being single but as it turns out everyone in my life thinks there is. My single status deeply upsets more than one of my family members. This is ultimately confusing because they, and the rest of my family, also think that I should not be getting married any time soon. Is it just me or does this whole situation not make since?

I understand that the people who feel the need to dig deeper into my love life are just concerned for my well being, but why does society seem to think that I can't be happy unless I am dating someone? I am happy. I like my alone time. I like my space. Do I want to find the love of my life and have children? Yes. But I also don't want to rush the natural process. Aren't things supposed to happen in their own time? That is at least how I feel about it.

In the end, all of the pressure being put on me from others is only making me less happy. I was happy being single and not worrying that I would never find anyone. Now on a daily basis I question why I am still single and whether I will ever find someone. I want to get married. I want children. I like to think that not being in a relationship right now doesn't affect these dreams at all. It would be great if people could realize that I am capable of being happy alone. Everyone is. I don't have an empty life because I don't have someone to hold hands with while I walk through downtown. The reason I am single is not because I don't go out enough and am not putting myself out there. The only reason I am single is that I enjoy my life now and haven't met the right person yet. When I do I will be more than willing to lose my single status and I'll be sure to let everyone know. Until then:

To all of those adults out there, I know that when you are talking to someone my age the go to questions are about school and relationships but the next time you question why someone is single remember that what you are saying can really affect their mindset on their life.

To all those twenty-something singles out there, you are not alone! If you are happy being single and having some "me time" before committing to someone for the rest of your life then don't let other peoples opinions change that! I am almost as single as a person can be and I enjoy my days. You can too :)

***The above picture is not mine. I got it from Tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme