Tuesday, April 7, 2015

It Ain't Cool To Be Crazy About You

Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette Review


Hello Lovelies. I'm Jordan Nicole :) It is day two of palette review week! On what better to review on day 2 than Urban Decay's Naked 2 palette? I have had this palette for over a year now and it has not received nearly as much love as it should have in that time. I bought myself this palette for Christmas 2013. I was so excited to get it, as it was my first indulgent makeup purchase. I had never even been to an Ulta when I went to buy it. I was torn for weeks between getting the original Naked palette or the second one. In the end I went with the second one (largely because it was impossible to find a Naked palette at the time). I like this palette but there are some downfalls for me personally. It is obviously amazing, as all Urban Decay eyeshadows are. It is just that for my personal use, it has a few flaws.


Urban Decay's Naked 2 palette.

The packaging for the second Naked palette is different than the original in a few ways. The actual case itself is actually tin for the Naked 2. It is a hard case that actually closes with a latch. It can definitely handle being in your makeup bag or handbag easily. It can take the wear and tear without scratching the tin or popping open. I really appreciate this quality when it comes to the Naked 2 in comparison to the original Naked.


Just as with the original, this palette comes with 12 neutral eyeshadows. In terms of the tone of the palette, it differs from the original in that it is a lot cooler. The shadows in this palette aren't quiet as warm. That isn't to say that this palette lacks warm tones, it just isn't dominated by them. The cool tones in this palette would be very complimentary of skin tones that have more of a pink undertone. Cooler skin tones go well with the silver undertone that resinates throughout this palette. Just like the original, this palette has all of the shades you need for daily wear and to transition into the evening. It is a wonderful balance of light and dark shades and can produce a perfect smoky eye.

My only problem with this palette is actually the fact that it is a more cool toned palette. I personally have warn toned skin, so a lot of these shades don't compliment my skin and eyes every well. The last six shadows are a lot harder for me to use than the entirety of the original Naked palette. This all comes down to skin tone though. If you are cool toned then this palette is probably the one you should go with out of the original and the second Naked palettes. The original is warmer and the second is cooler. If you have blue/light eyes or have cool toned skin then this palette will compliment that very well. It also has a handful of shades that go well with warmer skin tones though. So really, anyone can make this palette work for them.



Out of the twelve shades in this palette three are matte, and the remaining nine are shimmers. I noted this in my review of the original Naked palette, but if you are looking for a good matte palette then the Naked palettes probably aren't what you are going to go for. They all have a majority of shimmer shadows. I think that they supply the exact matte shades that you need to help you create any shadow look. There is no need for an additional palette when you grab these because they supply you with everything you need. That is one of the best parts of the Naked palettes. They can satisfy all of your needs. The three matte shades in the Naked 2 palette vary pretty drastically. There is a light cream shade (foxy), a medium brown (tease) and a true black (blackout). They can all help create a wonderful evening eye look. The shimmer shadows do vary in how intense the shine is, which gives you a lot of options.

(Top to Bottom: Foxy, Tease, Blackout)

(In the below mentioned order, top to bottom)

My favorite shades in the Naked 2 palette are Half Baked (which is also one of my favorites in the original Naked palette, as it is in both), Chopper, Snakebite, and YDK. These are all shimmer shades and their pigmentation is amazing. Three of these are some of the warm toned shadows in the palette, so it isn't that surprising that they are what I'm drawn to.

 (Bottom to Top: Foxy, Half Baked, Bootycall, Chopper, Tease, Snakebite)

 (Bottom to Top: Suspect, Pistol, Verve, YDK, Busted, Blackout)

(Bottom to Top: Foxy, Half Baked, Bootycall, Chopper, Tease, Snakebite, Suspect, Pistol, Verve, YDK, Busted, Blackout)

This palette lives up to the Urban Decay eyeshadow standards. The formula for every shadow is just amazing. They go on so smoothly. I always say that Urban Decay has to most buttery formula for their eyeshadows. As with most matte eyeshadows, you do have to build those a bit more than the shimmers, but they have wonderful pigmentation too. The color pay off and pigmentation in this palette make it extremely easy to use and blend. It takes a very small amount of product to do any look. This palette is going to last you. In my opinion all of the Naked palettes are worth the $54 you are going to pay. They are an amazing quality and you just know you will get your moneys worth. This palette may not be my favorite but I do reach for it often even with its downfalls from my personal preferences.


The Urban Decay Naked 2 palette is available at urbandecay.com and online & in stores at Ulta and Sephora.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme